The NHRA Southern Nationals at the Atlanta Dragway, scheduled for Aug. 28-30, has been canceled due the current COVID-19 pandemic. The NHRA says it made this difficult decision after exhaustive deliberation with track representatives, health officials and government authorities.
“NHRA and Atlanta Dragway came to this conclusion after carefully weighing the significance of the 40th anniversary of the NHRA Southern Nationals. The anniversary of the historic race will be celebrated in 2021,” the NHRA staff said in z prepared statement.
“It is with great regret that we announce the cancellation of the NHRA Southern Nationals at Atlanta Dragway,” said Kasey Coler, vice president of track management and operations. This tough decision was made following numerous discussions with our stakeholders regarding the ability to host and celebrate the 40th anniversary of the race. Unfortunately, under the current circumstances, we would not be able to provide the event a proper platform to honor and celebrate this historic anniversary.”
The Atlanta event is the latest in a string of Mello Yello Series events postponed or canceled outright by the ongoing pandemic; The Heartland Nationals in Topeka, Northwest Nationals in Seattle, the Mile-High Nationals in Denver, and the Lucas Oil Nationals in Brainerd have all been moved in recent weeks or will not be contested in 2020, joining a handful of races that had already been removed from the calendar in the NHRA’s final schedule revision.